“The services were very touching and the archives you helped locate were so much appreciated by the family. I gave the eulogy through the lens of the documents you found…” -A
In January 2003 the Bessemer Historical Society (now Steelworks Center of the West) received the donation of the vast archives of the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company from Rocky Mountain Steel Mills, a division of Evraz Oregon Steel. The CF&I Archives include over 100,000 photographs, more than 150 films, 30,000 maps and drawings, hundreds of ledgers, and internal publications such as Camp and Plant, The Industrial Bulletin, and The Blast.
These are in addition to the core collection of approximately 6000 cubic feet of records documenting CF&I’s steel production, iron and coal mining, geological records, labor relations, land and water resources, employee records, invoices and work orders, executive memoranda, correspondence, and much more, documenting every aspect of the company’s rich history. A look into the archives you will learn how CF&I is not only important to the history of Pueblo but Colorado as a whole. Our archives represent the life and economic development of Pueblo and Southern Colorado through CF&I’s impact on western immigration, labor issues, coal and iron mining, railroads and steel production. Our archives expand past the history of the Pueblo Steel Mill to the history of Colorado and western industrialization. If you are interested in learning more about CF&I and how it impacted the history of life and economic development in Pueblo and Colorado please contact us today. Our archive collection can add to your research of:
- Industrial medecine
- Dr. Richard Corwin
- Colorado & Wyoming Railroad
- Denver & Rio Grande Railroad
- Coal Mining
- Ludlow Massacre
- Colorado History
- Labor History
- Labor Strikes
- Pueblo History
- Mining Accidents
- Western History
- Business History
- Industrial History
- John D. Rockefeller Jr.
- William Jackson Palmer
- Corporate Propaganda
- Minnequa Hospital
STEELWORKS ARCHIVES RESEARCH HOURS
Tuesday-Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day
RESEARCH BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: CONTACT US
- To appraise, collect, organize, provide access, and preserve archival materials and secondary resource materials illustrating the origins, growth and development of the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company, its previous incarnations, and its subsidiary companies and corporations.
- To provide appropriate conditions and facilities for the retention, protection, and preservation of these records.
- To provide regular reference services and access to individuals, organizations, or other groups interested in the collections.
- To encourage the use of the collection and to increase the public awareness and appreciation of CF&I’s history through publications, exhibitions and other outreach programs.